Subject: Re: [vserver] Install VServer on Scientific Linux
From: "Michael S. Zick" <mszick@morethan.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:27:29 -0500

On Fri October 17 2008, Rafael Silva wrote:
> Peter Mann wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 11:38:26AM -0300, Rafael Silva wrote:
> >
> >> I"m trying to install the VServer on a Scientific Linux 4.6
> >> distribution. My kernel is:
> >>
> >> 2.6.9-67.0.4.ELsmp
> >>
> >> I followed the steps in
> >> "http://linux-vserver.org/Installation_on_Linux_2.6", and I tried to
> >> recompile the followings kernel with the VServer Patch:
> >>
> >> 2.6.22.19
> >> 2.6.21.7
> >> 2.6.19.7
> >> 2.6.16.52
> >> 2.6.17.13
> >>
> >> The kernels compiled succesfully, I copied the bzImage and System.map to
> >> my /boot, created the "initrd" file and edited my Grub configuration
> >> file.
> >> But when I reboot the system and try to initialize with the VServer, It
> >> did not work! The Grub load the kernel and the image but stay locked in
> >> the booting screen, and all the machine is locked too!
> >>
> >> Does anyone know what is happening? Is there another way to install
> >> VServer on Scientific Linux?
> >>

> > try your own kernel without vserver patch ... and if it works, then try
> > to add vserver patch ... IMHO it's not vserver related problem ...
> >

> Ok, I will try, but I did not find any patch for my kernel version
> (2.6.9-67...). So, what patch must I use?

First -
The Linux-Vserver patch is only intended to apply against an unmodified,
kernel.org kernel source.
Trying to apply it to a distribution modified kernel can be a major project.

Second -
Browsing their repository
http://ftp.scientificlinux.org/linux/scientific/52/i386/SL/
Shows they are a RedHat based distro and the most recent distro kernels
are from the 2.6.18 series -

So I would suggest that you use your SL package management to update your
install to the 2.6.18 series of distribution kernels.
The intent here is to drag in any dependent changes to upgrading to a newer
kernel.

Next, search the various repositories of *.rpm packages - find a pre-built
vserver enabled kernel - try it.  There should be a 2.6.18-vs out there somewhere.

If that fails -
then try building your own from kernel.org sources and the vserver posted patches;
note that this may lose you xen features - depending on how old a kernel you choose.

You can get patches for both 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 series from the experimental branch
of this site.
The 2.6.27 patch may need a single line edit to one file (posted in this list).

It is working (minus a couple of features):
mszick@wolf466:~$ uname -a
Linux wolf466 2.6.27-vs2.3.0.35.6pre #3 PREEMPT Sun Oct 12 18:18:52 CDT 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Mike