Subject: Re: [vserver] VServer related project
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:19:46 +0100

Edward Capriolo wrote:
> The entire project is going to be open source.
>
> http://www.jointhegrid.com/jtgweb/
>
> The 'working' V1 implementation is going to be frozen and put out on
> SVN, while I work on the V2 multi-server version. I have noticed some
> list activity about DRBD and OCF scripts so some people might be
> interested.

Sounds good - as it's early days can I recommend putting the public site
up on a git or similar VCS system?  Git isn't the only distributed vcs
in town, so insert favourite vcs instead, but that choice aside I was
introduced to the whole git style of working on shared projects recently
and it does transform the whole experience - it especially pays
dividends where the main project is useful, but you want to make some
local modifications and still easily track the upstream

Other features I have found very helpful are being able to branch wildly
and this tends to keep commits smaller and more compartmentalised.  As a
result I found it easier to maintain a "patches_queue" which upstream
might want to look at and grab code from.  And "git rebase" is just
magic for keeping that patch queue in shape, eg if the upsteam pulls
just part of the patch out then rebase mangles the commit for you and
keeps just half the commit in the queue so that you can track it,
improve it, think about it some more, etc.  It works like magic - I was
blown away by how powerful the rebase command is!

Nice project - good luck!

Ed W