Subject: VServer related project
From: "Edward Capriolo" <edlinuxguru@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 21:21:32 -0400

I have been working on a project for a while. My goal was to design a
management system that would be a cross between Ensim/VServer Control
Daemon /and webmin.
1) The concept is to put a web management interface ontop of a VServer
2) manage all the resources into quotas Processor, Disk, and Memory,
IPAddreses, etc
3) Give users access to above resources to create one or more virtual
servers without any administrator intervention

The most difficult tasks were creating and managing IP addresses and
IPTables automatically. The VServer work was done by adding wrappers
around the shell commands. In the end, I had a tool that can do all
the work of creating a vserver including iptables from a web
interface.

After I had most of those features working, I decided I wanted to go
after a multi server implementation :)

My new goals are to add some features:
1) Work on clusters of up to 16 servers with a shared metastore
2) Create DRBD partitions and install vservers on them
3) Integrate Linux HA for failover of VServers
4) Create public template repositories much like all the vmware images out there

The entire project is going to be open source.

http://www.jointhegrid.com/jtgweb/

The 'working' V1 implementation is going to be frozen and put out on
SVN, while I work on the V2 multi-server version. I have noticed some
list activity about DRBD and OCF scripts so some people might be
interested.

Thanks all