Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver+grsecurity patch
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:02:02 +0100

Natanael Copa wrote:
> I can only speak for me, but i think 2.6.27 needs a few dot releleases
> before i consider upgrade. Even 2.6.26 is considered "unstable/testing"
> for Gentoo hardened.

OT, but initially the whole drivers in the kernel thing used to seem
like a good idea to me.  However, as time goes by I find myself on the
kernel treadmill, it's the old: got a new motherboard, personally happy
with kernel 2.6.something_old.fixed, but I need some new driver for the
hardware from some newer kernel and it's suddenly a game of is it easier
to backport the driver or upgrade the kernel...

In comparison on windoze I can usually apply a given driver to large
variations in OS version.  It would be nice to perhaps see the kernel
figure out some way to modularise this a bit so that we aren't always on
a treadmill to new versions just for fairly minor driver updates...
Alsa and DVB seem to be good examples of one foot in, one foot out of
the kernel tree and usually can be updated independently.

Ed W