Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver+grsecurity patch
From: Natanael Copa <natanael.copa@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 09:13:42 +0200

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 18:26 +0200, Rik Bobbaers wrote:
> true... was/is... :)
>
> my thoughts were... i follow the stable branch of vserver, because you
> only want enhanced security on the really stable kernels... so i still
> try to keep up with the stable patches, it's just been a while since
> the last stable patch.

My problem now is that "current stable" is not stable at all. Try it on
qemu/kvm yourself and you'll see. Same thing happen on different kinds
of hardware. (i gant find out exatct what hardware if you'd like)

I'm pretty sure the problem is in the grsecrity patch (iirc there as
some issues like that even without the vserver patch) and I'm sure that
if I ask grsecurity guys about it, they'll say "use latest kernel".

> i've had this question numerous times, but as long as the vserver
> patch isn't stable, i don't see a lot of use for "updating" the patch
> to the latest vserver and grsec
>
> but if there is a general demand... i'll find some time to do it if
> you like :)

well, the current stable patch is broken, so yes, it would be nice.

However, before you spend time on it, I'll ask on the grsecurity list.
Maybe they have a tip on a backported fix.