Subject: Re: [vserver] chroot barrier problem when consolidating var and etc
From: randall <randall@songshu.org>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 19:31:05 +0200

Martin Fick wrote:
> --- On Tue, 9/30/08, randall <randall@songshu.org> wrote:
>
>> the layout is 1 drbd block device with lvm partitions on
>> top. i have tried  different variations but at least i can
>> confirm that below (just tried it) gives  the rlimits error.
>>

>> lvcreate -L5000 -n web2 drbdvg1
>> mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbdvg1/web2
>> mkdir  -p /VSERVERS/web2/etc
>> mkdir -p /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
>> newvserver --vsroot /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var --hostname
>> web2 --domain
>> unitedmembers.com --ip 212.123.250.128/24 --dist etch
>> --mirror
>> http://212.123.250.81:3142/debian.apt-get.eu/debian
>> --interface eth0
>>

> Hmm, I usually make do not use the --vsroot parameter
> so I don't know how that affects things.  I usually
> just let it make the vserver where the tool puts
> it normally (under /var/lib/vservers/<guest>, I believe)
> and then move/link it under the "joint" directory.
> I suppose it should work your way, I just can't vouch
> for it.

i tried it without as well, but thought that the double symlink might
give problems so also tried it like this, and this would save some extra
copying (if it would work)

>> mv /etc/vservers/web2 /VSERVERS/web2/etc/
>> ln -s /VSERVERS/web2/etc/web2 /etc/vservers/
>>

> Again, this should probably work, but it does
> add one extra directory level to the mix that I
> don't have.  I usually instead make it more
> like this:

hate to say it, tried that as well to have it direcly under /etc and /var
> mv /etc/vservers/web2 /VSERVERS/web2
> ln -s /VSERVERS/web2/etc /etc/vservers/web2

???? is this a typo
> At this point my suggestion would be to use the
> attribute tools to look at the status of the
> following directories:
>
> /VSERVERS/
> /VSERVERS/web2/
> /VSERVERS/web2/etc/
> /VSERVERS/web2/etc/web2
> /VSERVERS/web2/
> /VSERVERS/web2/barrier
> /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
>
> to see if any of them have the barrier set on them.
> I believe that only the barrier directory should.

attribute tools? never heard of those, thanks for teaching a new trick.
my guess is that the barrier is the one with the B right?
in this case on /var because i added the extra directory /web2 under
var, but its 1 extra directory that shouldn't hurt

should this one be there?
----Bui- /VSERVERS/
is this an old misstake from when i first tried it?
it shouldn't be cause of the init right?
obviously this is caused because of /VSERVERS/ns1 i guess, i did try the
barrier with only 1 single Vserver After doing one without and not
having any clue about attributes so the old one was probably still there.

so if i'm not mistaking i owe you another beer or 2

node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/
----Bui- /VSERVERS/
----bui- /VSERVERS/ns1
----bui- /VSERVERS/web
----bui- /VSERVERS/hosting
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2
node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/web2/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/etc
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier
node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/web2/etc/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/etc/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/etc/web2
node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/web2/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/etc
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier
node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/web2/barrier
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier
----Bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
node1:/VSERVERS# showattr /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
----Bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
----bui- /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var/web2