Subject: Re: [vserver] chroot barrier problem when consolidating var and etc
From: Martin Fick <mogulguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 09:58:19 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 9/30/08, randall <randall@songshu.org> wrote:
> the layout is 1 drbd block device with lvm partitions on
> top. i have tried  different variations but at least i can
> confirm that below (just tried it) gives  the rlimits error.
>

> lvcreate -L5000 -n web2 drbdvg1
> mkfs.ext3 /dev/drbdvg1/web2
> mkdir  -p /VSERVERS/web2/etc
> mkdir -p /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var
> newvserver --vsroot /VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var --hostname
> web2 --domain
> unitedmembers.com --ip 212.123.250.128/24 --dist etch
> --mirror
> http://212.123.250.81:3142/debian.apt-get.eu/debian
> --interface eth0

Hmm, I usually make do not use the --vsroot parameter
so I don't know how that affects things.  I usually
just let it make the vserver where the tool puts
it normally (under /var/lib/vservers/<guest>, I believe)
and then move/link it under the "joint" directory.
I suppose it should work your way, I just can't vouch
for it.

> mv /etc/vservers/web2 /VSERVERS/web2/etc/
> ln -s /VSERVERS/web2/etc/web2 /etc/vservers/

Again, this should probably work, but it does
add one extra directory level to the mix that I
don't have.  I usually instead make it more
like this:

mv /etc/vservers/web2 /VSERVERS/web2
ln -s /VSERVERS/web2/etc /etc/vservers/web2

At this point my suggestion would be to use the
attribute tools to look at the status of the
following directories:

/VSERVERS/
/VSERVERS/web2/
/VSERVERS/web2/etc/
/VSERVERS/web2/etc/web2
/VSERVERS/web2/
/VSERVERS/web2/barrier
/VSERVERS/web2/barrier/var

to see if any of them have the barrier set on them.
I believe that only the barrier directory should.

-Martin