Subject: Re: [vserver] chroot barrier problem when consolidating var and etc
From: Martin Fick <mogulguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 07:30:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Tue, 9/30/08, randall <randall@songshu.org> wrote:

> >> i seem to be getting the error
> >> "vlimit:
> >>
> fstat("/etc/vservers/<server-name>/rlimits"):
> >> Permission denied
> >> " even when following
> >>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Fail-over#Organizing_your_VServer_Directories
> >>

> > Perhaps you recently rebooted.  Since it is the init
> script that sets the barriers, the problem can go undetected
> for a while.

> since it is for testing a fail-over setup i have been
> re-booting pretty
> frequently, so if i understand correctly this can happen
> unexpectedly???

That's not quite what I am saying.  If you arrange your directories in a way that will
trigger this behavior, this should happen anytime after a reboot if you haven't prevented
it from happening.  What I meant was, if you changed your directory layout and have
not rebooted yet, you will not see the problem and think that everything is fine until
one day you reboot and suddenly the barrier has been added causing this problem the
next time you start a vserver affected by this.

If you have been rebooting (and starting your vservers) a lot lately without rearranging
your directory structure and have not seen this problem lately, I am not sure what could
trigger this again suddenly.  Perhaps you upgraded the util-vserver package and the
old one did not set the barrier?

-Martin