Subject: Re: [vserver] How to build kernel modules for host?
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:38:53 +0200

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 10:47:20AM -0700, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> And if that question isn't ambiguous enough I don't know what would be.
>
> So here goes.  I need to build a kernel module that is need by software
> to run in a guest.  Specifically the zaptel(ztdummy) module for Asterisk.
>
> The instructions I'm using (http://www.telephreak.org/papers/vpa/) are
> based on a debian install so since I use CentOS so my-mileage-will-vary.
>
> When I've installed Asterisk on standalone systems I remember needing to
> install the kernel sources/headers.  That was a full Asterisk install so
> I'm not sure if to build only the zaptel driver I need them -- the
> source/headers.
>
> To be on the safe side I'd like to go ahead and install them.
>
> So the questions are:
>  * Is the kernel*src*.rpm from Daniel's repository enough?

should be fine to build modules ..
actually a 'devel' package for the kernel should suffice

>  * Would the L-V patches cause any problems when building other
>    kernel modules?

depends on what interfaces the kernel module utilizes
most of the existing mainline interfaces are the same
than with mainline ekrnels nowadays

>  * Should I just install, via yum, the whole *-devel pile?

as I said, the kernel-*-delev-* package should suffice
for building out of kernel modules

HTH,
Herbert