Subject: Re: [vserver] shutdown zombie after incomplete stop of guest
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 20:45:06 +0200

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 12:43:52AM +0200, Oliver Welter wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am still experimenting with vserver and aufs.
> After the misleading tries with mounting aufs inside the guests,
> I now tried the setup as proposed by the aufs developer
> http://aufs.sourceforge.net/linux-vserver.txt

interesting ... it would sound even better, if
aufs was able to provide consistant device:inode
numbers for identical files, because with more
than two guests, the 'disk space saving' part is
gnone and the 'cache/memory wasting' part takes
over, compared to unification

but it is very nice to see that the developers
are actually interested in making it work on
Linux-VServer!

> In short - I have a rootfs and an overlay, mount them together in
> the root context and than fire up the guest. Things that might be of
> interest: the rootfs is shared among multiple guests and the overlay
> resides on a drbd on top of an lvm - but I dont assume that this is
> relevant...
>
> It seems that the timeout of the shutdown is sometimes not sufficient to
> terminate all processes, I get an info that some processes where
> terminated but that some cant - the only process left looks like this:
>
>  2188 ?        Ds     0:00 /sbin/shutdown -r 0 w

you know you can extend the timeout if you like
(in the config) but I would double check what's
taking so long, as shutting down a guest is
usually a matter of a few seconds at most

> I can still see the guest in the vserver-stats list and enter the guest,
> whre I see just this single provess and the two process of the login bash.
> I am unable to kill this Zombie, neither with kill from inside, nor with
> vkill from outside and vserver-stop also fails.
>
> Kernel log is empty, so there seem to be no oopses.
> I am running 2.6.22-vs2.2.0.7 with 0.3.215 tools, the host is debian,
> the guets are gentoo with a 2008 profile and baselayout2/openrc
>
> Any ideas on this?

check what's taking too long on shutdown, also
have a chat with one of the gentoo maintainers,
maybe they know what's going wrong ...

HTH,
Herbert