Subject: Re: [vserver] Re: New guy needs a little help
From: Jason Drage <jasond@ibsglobalweb.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 11:55:13 +1000

Caleb Call wrote:
> sorry, it sent by mistake...so let me finish.
>

> Hopefully I'm not asking something that's already covered (I'm sure I
> am) but I've looked all over and I can't seem to find any help.  So I
> built my first vserver.  My Host is a Centos 5 box (5.2) and my guest
> is the same (Centos 5.2).  I've got it up and running, I've been able
> to install everything I need on my guest (httpd, mysql, php, etc)
> using vyum so it can act as a web server.  My problem lies in once
> I've in my vserver, I can't get out of the machine (ping, etc) using
> names.  This would leave me to believe DNS is not working properly.
> My first thought was to check what my /etc/resolv.conf had in it.  The
> file doesn't exist, so I created it, added my nameservers but it still
> can't lokup hosts.  I can ping by IP and it gets out fine.  What am I
> missing?  Do I need to create a default route?  I don't know if I have
> my interfaces configured properly even.  I followed the wiki page to a
> "T" using yum to install everything.
>

> HELP!
>
> Thanks,
> Caleb
Hi Caleb,
I don't know if this is a helpful clue, but if you run any service on
the host that defaults to listening to all addresses (a common example
is ssh), this will prevent the correct operation of such a service in
the guest.
For example if you happen to have a caching-only dns server running on
your host it might be interfering with lookups from the guest. Solution
in this case is to configure these services on the host to listen on
specified ip addresses only.

You shouldn't need to explicitly set a default route.

What method did you use to create the guest (the exact command line you
used can help)?

Send the output of 'ip addr ls' from both the host and guest if you can.

Other useful debug info is the output of 'vserver-info'

cheers,
Jason