Subject: Re: [vserver] How create a new guest by cloning existing guest
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:52:04 +0200

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 12:57:13PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Hi folks,
>

> I haven't figured out how to make use of dd command to clone
> an existing guest as a new guest.

well, we haven't either, but probably something like

dd if=/vservers/guest1/bin/bash of=/vservers/guest2/bin/bash

repeated for all files in /vservers/guest1 could work :)

> Could you please shed me some light?

contrary to Xen(R) or vmware(R) you _usually_ do not
put the guest data on a separate filesystem or even
into some loopback file (note: that doesn't mean that
you cannot do that), so basically copying the relevant
files of a guest is enough to duplicate it

> Pointer would be appreciated.  TIA

util-vserver helps you there with a bunch of build
methods for this purpose (e.g. 'clone' or 'rsync')

check out 'vserver - build --help'

HTH,
Herbert