Subject: Re: [vserver] About running X server on guest
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2008 02:41:22 +0200

On Sat, Aug 30, 2008 at 12:17:23AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

> --- Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net> wrote:
>
> > Le August 29, 2008, Stephen Liu a écrit :
> > > On the Host or on the Guest?
> >
> > On the guest, since you're getting the error by running startx in the
> > guest.
> >
> > Is that what you really want? Running X on the host AND a second X
> > instance in
> > the guest?
>

> No, absolutely NOT. I'm testing X forwarding. In the guest to forward
> X from the host. ssh, server and client, are installed in guest. In
> the guest I can ssh connect the host. But I can't forward X of host
> to the guest. Because no X session is installed/running on the guest.
> Therefore I install X packages on the guest in anticipation to have X
> window of the host forwarded to the guest. So that I can operate host
> application in the guest on X window. This is a test.

most likely, you are doing it the wrong way round,
and what you actually want is the following:

 host: running X (the thing with the gnome stuff on
       on the monitor, not necessarily the host the
       guests are on :)

 guest: running some X application which gets
        displayed on your X screen (on the host)

what you need for that (besides the obvious X) is
only this:

 - sshd (running on the guest, with xforwarding
   enabled) check X11UseLocalhost no (unless you
   have lback active)

 - xauth (again on the guest) to get the magic
   cookies :)

 - your X11 application, e.g. xterm or xeyes

what you do is simply ssh to the guest (from your
graphical desktop) and start the application

HTH,
Herbert