Subject: Re: [vserver] About running X server on guest
From: Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:28:11 -0400
Fri, 29 Aug 2008 08:28:11 -0400
Le August 29, 2008, Stephen Liu a écrit :
> Can I install/run X server on Vserver guest?  OR install X server on
>  host and forward X to the guest.  On the later arrangement I suppose
>  still needing X installed on the guest?  Please advise.  TIA

At home I installed an X server as well as my whole desktop in a vserver. It
was working, but there were a few kinks.

First, when in an X session, I would hit CTRL-ALT-F1 and would end up as
expected in vt1 with a login on the host, but the display would remain with
the graphical content, inactive. I could not ALT-F7 back into the guest's X
session, I had to blindingly log into the host and run chvt 7 to get to my X
session.

I don't know if I could have tweaked some configuration better in order to get
the proper behaviour. I searched for a while for some solution but it didn't
get anywhere.

It wouldn't be that much of a problem if there wasn't also the occasionnal X
freeze. I run the proprietary NVIDIA driver, so it might be the reason for
the the freezes, but I could only recover from those by opening a remote
shell from another machine and kill X in the guest.

I ended up installing X on the host, leaving the rest of the system in the
guest, and I configured KDM to forward to X on the host. Not the best
security-wise, but perfect it-works-wise.

I now have full hardware acceleration, including 3D, and no more freezes or vt
oddness.

--

Nicolas Cadou

Cobi Informatique Inc.