Subject: Re: [vserver] gentoo baselayout-2 conversion problem
From: Chuck <chuck@sbbsnet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:21:46 -0400

 Tue, 26 Aug 2008 08:21:46 -0400
On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Benedikt Böhm wrote:

> On Aug 26, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Ed W wrote:
>
> > Chuck wrote:
> >> i converted an older guest that was brought up to date with emerege
> >> world to baselayout2 (our template model) and have a problem in
> >> shutdown. i get these messages. things are fine until near the end.
> >>
> >> * Stopping local ...   [ ok ]
> >> * Stopping vixie-cron ...   [ ok ]
> >> * Saving random seed ...   [ ok ]
> >> * Stopping chrooted named ...  [ ok ]
> >> * Stopping syslog-ng ...   [ ok ]
> >> WARNING: could not determine runlevel - doing soft halt
> >>  (it's better to use shutdown instead of halt from the command line)
> >> shutdown: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
> >> init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
> >> /usr/lib64/util-vserver/vserver.stop: line 96:  9034
> >> Killed                  "${NICE CMD[@]}" "${CHBIND CMD[@]}"
> >> "$ VSPACE" --enter "$S CONTEXT" "${OPTS VSPACE[@]}" -- "$ VTAG" --
> >> migrate "${OPTS VTAG ENTER[@]}" --silent -- $ VCONTEXT $SILENT OPT
> >> --migrate --chroot --xid "$S CONTEXT" -- "${INITCMD STOP[@]}"
> >>
> >> i think the upgrade emerged not only baselayout-2 and openrc but
> >> also init-0.  when i first tried to start it i found itwas missing
> >> a file
> >>

> > I did not have this problem a month of so ago with open-rc 0.2.3 and
> > some older udev and I *do* have it now that I have updated all my
> > vservers to openrc 0.2.5.  I had assumed that openrc updates were
> > responsible, but not tracked that down
> >
> > Try reverting openrc to 0.2.3 and see if this fixes things and if so
> > perhaps a diff to see what caused it?
> >
> > Ed W
>
> please check /etc/init.d/shutdown.sh and/or reboot.sh, those are part
> of sysvinit, but should not be overwritten on upgrade, since gentoo/
> initpost does the right thing here (which is a script that does `exit
> 0` and nothing else)
>
> Bene

must have been overwritten with something then...  here is the content...
should i erase it all and just put exit 0 ?

opts="-d"
[ "${INIT HALT}" != "HALT" ] && opts="${opts}p"
[ "${RC DOWN INTERFACE}" = "yes" ] && opts="${opts}i"
[ "${RC DOWN HARDDISK}" = "yes" ] && opts="${opts}h"

/sbin/halt "${opts}"

# hmm, if the above failed, that's kind of odd ...
# so let's force a halt
/sbin/halt -f

--

Chuck