Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 11:22:28 +0800 (CST)

--- Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net> wrote:

> Le August 25, 2008, Stephen Liu a écrit :
> > That is what I usually did installing a bare server OS on a PC and
> run
> >  a workstation or a LiveCD on another box to configure the server
> >  remotely.  Because I need a GUI browser searching Internet in case
> of
> >  problem.  Text browser doesn't help much.  Additionally I need a
> text
> >  editor (usually GUI) copying down all steps performed for
> reference in
> >  case of problem on configuring the server.  "script" does not help
> me
> >  much because it records codes difficult to read.  Running "col" to
> >  clean it is not 100% perfect.
> >
> >  Later to overcome running 2 boxes doing one job, I install X
> packages
> >  including, a light weight desktop, such as flux, etc., leafpad
> (GUI
> >  text editor), roxfiler (file manager), etc. (all light weight
> packages)
> >  on the server.  But it needs additional work.  Is there any
> suggestion?
> >   TIA
>
> I'm not sure I understand why you couldn't administer the host
> remotely, using
> an SSH client. I've never had to resort to install X packages on a
> Linux-VServer host, nor on any other Linux server, physical or
> virtual. My
> workstation runs a graphical desktop of course and it's all that I
> need. All
> the servers I manage are headless and only need network and power
> cables.

The servers running here are headless managed via a workstation or on
an idle server running LiveCD.  I'm trying to find a way, if possible,
on building new server avoiding running 2 boxes to do one job.  I did
in one case on building a new server installing a light weight desktop
on the server.  I'm exploring new management, if any.

B.R.
Stephen L