Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 04:21:51 +0200

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 06:42:54PM +0200, Peter Mann wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 08:26:35PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 02:40:17PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >

> > > Just purchased a Seagate 640G HD with Cache 32M ready for testing
> > > Linux-vserver.  My preferred Host OS is Ubuntu 8.04.  As advised by
> > > Nicolas previously on a thread that it does not have an official kernel
> > > with Linux-VServer enabled.  I'm now searching for a Host OS for this
> > > test.  Please shed me some light which Linux distro having official
> > > kernel with Linux-Vserver enabled.  TIA
> >
> > good support seems to be there for Fedora, Centos,
> > Gentoo and Mandriva and Debian (but it is recommended
>                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > to build the kernel yourself) packages should be
>   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > available for all of them, you might even get away
> > by using the debian packages for ubuntu
>
> why is recommended to build Debian kernel ??? i have no problem
> with distro kernels

it is recommended to build custom kernels. period. :)

why? for several reasons:

 limiting a kernel to the stuff you actually need
 will result in:

 - increased performance
 - increased security
 - increased stability

 proper configuration of e.g. network features and
 memory allocation/config/setup will do similar

why don't distributions do that?

 simple, because they can't ... they have to satisfy
 a multitude of different systems and unless you build
 a customized kernel you will end up with the kitchen-
 sink :)

HTC,
Herbert