Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Thomas Weber <l_vserver@mail2news.4t2.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:25:51 +0200

Am Montag, den 25.08.2008, 18:47 +0200 schrieb Eugen Leitl:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 12:02:55PM -0400, Nicolas Cadou wrote:
>
> > >  What's wrong with Debian for host? I haven't had any hitches so
> > >  far (amd64 64 bit).
> >
> > Absolutely nothing. Unless management wants Ubuntu.
>
> Maybe you should explain to your management the additional
> workload (including testing, of course) of rolling your own kernels.

If you are serious about 'vserverizing' your environment, the host won't
run much at all - the distribution question doesn't matter that much
then (i for myself prefer debian with selfmade kernels because it's very
easy to keep the base system really small < 300MB).

You're free to run whatever distros you want in the guests.

I'm pretty sure though, that no distribution, free or commercial, will
officially and fully support running as a vserver guest. Chances for
support will probably be better with the comunity driven ones (regarding
the distribution side support - vserver comunity most likely supports
anything ;-).

OTOH, running a 'supported' host distribution with all the services on
the host makes vservers (well, any kind of virtualization) pretty
useless.

Maybe that's something one should teach management first.

  Tom