Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Peter Mann <Peter.Mann@tuke.sk>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 18:42:54 +0200

On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 08:26:35PM +0200, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 02:40:17PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> > Hi folks,
> >

> > Just purchased a Seagate 640G HD with Cache 32M ready for testing
> > Linux-vserver.  My preferred Host OS is Ubuntu 8.04.  As advised by
> > Nicolas previously on a thread that it does not have an official kernel
> > with Linux-VServer enabled.  I'm now searching for a Host OS for this
> > test.  Please shed me some light which Linux distro having official
> > kernel with Linux-Vserver enabled.  TIA
>
> good support seems to be there for Fedora, Centos,
> Gentoo and Mandriva and Debian (but it is recommended
                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> to build the kernel yourself) packages should be
> available for all of them, you might even get away
> by using the debian packages for ubuntu

why is recommended to build Debian kernel ??? i have no problem
with distro kernels

Ubuntu doesn't have vserver enabled kernels (only OpenVZ) - but openvz
enabled kernels in ubuntu is in "universe" repository - so support is
only from community, not from Canonical ... so IMHO is better to use
Debian Vserver kernels ;-)

5o   Peter.Mann at tuke.sk