Subject: Re: [vserver] seeking advicce on Host OS selection
From: Cedric Veilleux <cveilleux@neopeak.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:35:37 +0000
Mon, 25 Aug 2008 16:35:37 +0000

> >  > Anything fetchable from the Ubuntu package repositories receiving the
> >  > same security updates as the other kernel flavours would fit that bill.
> >
> >  What's wrong with Debian for host? I haven't had any hitches so
> >  far (amd64 64 bit).
>
> Absolutely nothing. Unless management wants Ubuntu.

Sorry but why do you ask for a distro recommendation when you are
already forced into Ubuntu?

Ubuntu 8.04 (hardy) uses kernel 2.6.24, and there is no stable vserver
patch for this kernel. This is why ubuntu dropped support for vserver I
guess.

You could probably add debian lenny main+security sources in a hardy
install and use package pinning in apt to install the debian kernel. I
guess it should work.

It does seem like useless work since you can simply install debian Etch
as the host, which fully supports vserver. Debian lenny (next debian
version), will still officially support vserver, so you are good with
debian for a while.

Cedric

["application/x-pkcs7-signature" not shown]