Subject: Re: [vserver] debootstrap inside a guest
From: Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2008 22:45:37 -0500

On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:40:14 +0200
ADNET Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com> wrote:

>  i try to install FAI in a guest and i have epic failure until now. It
> seems that FAI use a debootstrap to build the install images. I was
> wondering if the vserver guest capabilities need some special setting to
> be able to run debootstrap INSIDE a guest ?  Any hint ?

i use pbuilder in a guest and it uses debootstrap to create an initial
minimal chroot for building packages (which gets extracted from a tarball
every time you execute pbuilder).  the problem i had/have is with creating
devices (populating /dev) which happens on initial chroot creation (using
debootstrap) and when extracting the chroot from a tarball.  i have "MKNOD"
in bcapabilities and "secure_mount" in ccapabilities (i believe because
pbuilder mounts /proc and /sys into the chroot immediately following
extraction from the tarball).

i can only state that for my usage of debootstrap, within the larger
framework of pbuilder, i need MKNOD and secure_mount.  maybe that's
applicable.

BIG FAT WARNING: Adding any system capability to your virtual server WILL
reduce security. Do not change the default values unless you absolutely
know what you are doing! (as seen on
http://linux-vserver.org/Capabilities_and_Flags)

corey
--