Subject: Re: [vserver] Sponsoring VServer getting up to date with mainline
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 19:03:09 +0200

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 08:53:00AM +0100, Ed W wrote:
> Mike O'Connor wrote:
> >I personal could not afford more than 100 to 200 Euros, but I'm
> >writing an email to the customers I support who use vserver on about
> >15 machines to see if they will pitch in.
>
> Hokay - well every little helps
>
> Just to keep perspective though - I think a single support call to
> Microsoft currently costs more than that? (I'm a bit out of date
> though). Perhaps phrased in those terms you might persuade a few of
> your customers to pitch in a bit?
>
> When I last looked an "enterprise" distribution was around 500 euros
> for a single server (could be way out of touch now), so my thinking
> is that if businesses interested in sponsoring could try and pitch in
> around that level then really it's about the same as buying a single
> server licence for some fancy distro - seem like a good way to phrase
> it to the boss?
>
> I guess please make any pledges directly to or copied to Herbert and I
> hope he can coordinate getting people onboard?

having an acute case of 'could need some harware'
I thought that might be a good thing to bring it
up here, as that is probably something where a
company (or even individual) who is interested in
sponsoring Linux-VServer development can pitch in ...

situation: one of my raid controllers suddenly failed
and I need to replace it with a new one (currently
the raid is offline, and I don't have access to the
data). as I was not very happy with the controller
(an Intel/LSI one, which only caused issues from the
beginning), I want to replace it with a different
model from Adaptec (specifically the RAID 31605),
which seems to have good support and all the features
I am looking for.

(any feedback about this controller is appreciated!)

that controller will cost about 820 USD in the US,
and roughly 600 EUR in Austria, a battery backup
would be a nice feature (140 USD/85 EUR) and I could
also make good use of three or four of those new
1.5TB SATA disks from Seagate (ST31500341AS) or the
1TB models (ST31000340AS) to retire one of my older
disk arrays (150-200 USD/ 120-150 EUR each)

so if you feel like contributing (hardware in this
specific case) please contact me and we arrange
the what/how/when ...

TIA,
Herbert