Subject: Re: [vserver] Pros and Cons of 32/64bit guests on 64bit host
From: Stephen Liu <satimis@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:29:05 +0800 (CST)

Hi Ed,

--- Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com> wrote:

- snip -

> The nice thing is that now if I want to shift mysql to a new machine
> just migrate the vserver instance across and change the IP.  If I
> want a
> new website then I can clone the apache instance and have both sites
> running physically separated from each other.  etc

Whether you meant to clone guest image and migrate it to another VM?
Just change the IP address, etc.  Thanks

- snip -

> One tip is that I keep the OS separate from the vserver data (eg
> apache
> OS instance separate from /var/www data).  This makes it easy to
> clone
> the data on one schedule and the OS on another schedule

That is what I'm doing on servers (not running on VM) keeping /var,
/home, etc. on separate partitions.  I have no experience on doing so
on guests.  They run virtually.

> I can't stress how simple vservers make backups!  You have one small
> 100-200MB or so host OS which is generic and clean, then you have a
> bunch of vserver instances which are basically directories that you
> can
> just backup using tar.  Incredibly easy to shuffle them around, boot
> them on a new physical server, clone them to test config changes,
> etc!

I'm doing the same compressing the backup as tarballs at scheduled
time, dumping them to external enclosure (external HD).  If they are
data tarballs I can check/read them w/o decompressing them.  But for OS
tarballs how can I check/run them without decompressing/installing them
on a physical machine?

> > 2)
> > It needs a range of fixed/public IP address serving hundreds of
> server
> > on the Virtual box.  I'm investing whether there will be a way to
> > overcome this difficulty.  Each server has its own hostname and
> domain.
> >  If hundreds of domain pointing to one fixed/public IP address is
> there
> > a device able routing them to respective server.  I have been
> posting
> > this question on Vyatta forum without response.  Are there any
> > suggestions?  TIA
> >

> Well there is no problem with lots of IP addresses - vserver handles
> that for you.  In the office here I just pick an unused address and
> boot
> the vserver using that - the rest of the subnet can see it fine
>
> If your problem is RIPE not wanting to waste loads of IPs on you then
>
> use some form of NAT to hide machines behind fewer IPs
>
> A common strategy is to put ALL vservers on a private 10.x.y.z subnet
>
> and then use the host to apply NAT to expose only the exact ports and
>
> services that you want to see on the internet.  This also makes for
> an
> extremely secure setup

Could you please explain in more detail.  On registrars' sites each
domain is pointing to a fixed/public IP.  On their arrival the router
will route them to their servers.  I'm venturing to find out if all
domins pointing to the same fixed/public IP can the router distribute
them to their server based on domain?  TIA

Others noted and thanks

B.R.
Stephen L