Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver git server and misc. thoughts
From: Adam Majer <adamm@zombino.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 10:25:55 -0500

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:35:16PM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
>> Or at least people send patches and commits to it instead of that
>> kernel-diff-monster!
>
> is that a nickname for me? :)

GIT allows for tracking of changes so you don't need to do much work do
view changes to some file between two different versions of the kernel.

GIT is also used by the kernel developers.

> huh? why do you think that development stalled in
> Linux-VServer? (or what do you mean by vserver?)
> note: the changes in 2.6.24-2.6.26 (caused by the
> partial adoption of OS-Level virtualization and related
> breakage) requires major changes to certain parts of
> Linux-VServer, which in turn require a lot of testing
> before we will flag it 'Stable' ...
>
> as for recent development, go and get the experimental
> version (currently 2.3.0.35-pre5) and let us know how
> it works for you (and/or what issues you have)

I'm only looking at http://linux-vserver.org and well, it looks stalled.

Grsecurity and PaX are in kind of same boat as vserver. Out of tree
patches that are not necessarily stalled, but there is very little
*visible* work being done on them.

>> Now, regarding actual work on stuff. Adrian Bunk has been maintaining
>> the 2.6.16.x kernel tree and will continue to maintain it for a bit.
>> Is it feasible to backport vs.2.2 branch back to that stable tree?
>
> sure, but that's definitely something I won't spend time
> on, unless it is well payed ...

That is quite understandable.

Anyway, do we have the location of the current patches, test patches,
etc. for the 2.2 and 2.3 versions aside the links from
http://linux-vserver.org ?

Is http://vserver.13thfloor.at/Experimental the "official" development area?

- Adam