Subject: Re: [vserver] vserver git server and misc. thoughts
From: Remigiusz Modrzejewski <lrem@sphere.pl>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 14:32:35 +0200

On Tuesday 12 of August 2008 13:26:08 Ed W wrote:
> Me too, but I think there is prior history here (although I don't
> understand it).  Herbert gave me some notes before, but I wonder if it's
> worth someone posting a "user" question to the kernel list and asking
> what hurdles need to be met to include some or all of it?

The patch is too big and invasive to get there in one piece. It would need to
be divided into separate parts and each one will have to get there on it's
own.

> I think there are many parts to the vserver code which are useful in
> their own right - for example given the plethora of rsync style backup
> solutions the hardlink breaking stuff could be very useful in it's own
> right...

This one could. Some others too. Then, some parts would meet "wrong, you're
doing it" kind of response, some would be flamed out straight, some would get
genuine interest and a bit of reforging to meet kernel standards, procedures,
compatibility (with openvz?) and so on.

But in the end, it would invariably mean a lot of work, swinging patches back
and forth and convincing people that you're right about this code. And it
would probably end up being accepted in less than 100%. Then, Herbert
explicitly stated that maintaining 80% in-tree and 20% out-tree is exactly
the thing he's trying to avoid...

Anyways, you're welcome to try. And it would be a great thing if you
succeeded.

Kind regards,
Remigiusz 'lRem' Modrzejewski