Subject: Re: [vserver] [WARNING] rc script might wipe your guests
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:43:19 +0100
Sat, 09 Aug 2008 12:43:19 +0100
Adam Majer wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
>
>> find -L /var/lock /var/run ! -type d -exec rm -f {} \;
>>

> Wouldn't a user with write access to /var/run or /var/lock subdirectory
> would just link /bin/sh or /bin/mount and screw over the system?
>
> Not very bright to follow symlinks!

It's very, very rare that you want to follow symlinks when deleting
things...

There was probably something very specific about the way they are
running /var/lock or /var/run which made them think it was useful?

FWIW: OpenRC seems to get things right at present - I hope anyway that
more systems will consider using it. It has transformed my gentoo boot
time to just a few seconds... (without a change to a fancy init replacement)