Subject: Safe to run vserver image from remote NAS/SAN ?
From: Gebhardt Thomas <gebhardt@hrz.uni-marburg.de>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 10:20:45 +0200

Hi,

is it possible (and reasonable) to put a vserver image on an central storage
device and boot it from a host via network (maybe even on different hosts
with individualized /var and /etc?). This would add even more flexibility
(probably at the cost of i/o performance and network load) to vservers.

Brainstorming on that topic we got:

NAS/NFS:
* no_root_squash option needed
* is it safe? (chroot barrier!)

SAN (FC or iSCSI)
* probably a cluster filesystem is needed if vserver image is mounted by more
than one host.

We did not yet implement any of these setups. Certainly there are obstacles
that we did not consider until now. Is anybody already using vservers in this
context?

Thanks for comments, Thomas