Subject: Re: [vserver] Application in guest os need to be supported by Host kernel
From: "John Alberts" <john.m.alberts@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 11:24:18 -0500

Well, really the problems you mention are issues related to default
security permissions for guests.  The problems you mention with bind,
X, etc, can all be resolved by adjusting the appropriate capabilities
flags.  No need to recompile the kernel, unless of course, you are
running on a really stripped down kernel.
In any case, I completely agree with Jon Bendsten's assessment that
Lynn may want to consider a different virtualisation solution if he
expects to be running into special kernel requirements.

John

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Raoul Bhatia [IPAX] <r.bhatia@ipax.at> wrote:
> John Alberts wrote:
>> AFAIK, if an application requires certain kernel features or modules,
>> you will need to take care of that on the host level, not the guest
>> level.  I really haven't  run into this type of problem personally
>> though.
>
> bind, for example, used to be such a program which requires special
> capabilites from the host or a recompile for the guest system.
>
> another example are programs which need raw access to special devices
> such as x.org (/dev/kmem if i remember correctly), some syslog
> daemons, or tcpdump/iptraf/iptables/etc. for networking stuff.
>
> cheers,
> raoul
> DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia@ipax.at
> Technischer Leiter
>
> IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
> Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office@ipax.at
> 1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
> FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15

John Alberts