Subject: Re: [vserver] Application in guest os need to be supported by Host kernel
From: "Raoul Bhatia [IPAX]" <r.bhatia@ipax.at>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 17:30:28 +0200

John Alberts wrote:
> AFAIK, if an application requires certain kernel features or modules,
> you will need to take care of that on the host level, not the guest
> level.  I really haven't  run into this type of problem personally
> though.

bind, for example, used to be such a program which requires special
capabilites from the host or a recompile for the guest system.

another example are programs which need raw access to special devices
such as x.org (/dev/kmem if i remember correctly), some syslog
daemons, or tcpdump/iptraf/iptables/etc. for networking stuff.

cheers,
raoul
DI (FH) Raoul Bhatia M.Sc.          email.          r.bhatia@ipax.at
Technischer Leiter

IPAX - Aloy Bhatia Hava OEG         web.          http://www.ipax.at
Barawitzkagasse 10/2/2/11           email.            office@ipax.at
1190 Wien                           tel.               +43 1 3670030
FN 277995t HG Wien                  fax.            +43 1 3670030 15