Subject: Re: [vserver] Why no hashify on Gentoo?
From: "Daniel Hokka Zakrisson" <daniel@hozac.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 02:05:40 +0200 (CEST)

Remigiusz Modrzejewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite shocked that vhashify, or unification at all, does not work with
> Gentoo. It's quite a basic feature and not that hard to fix the issue too.
> The attached patch is a stub that just makes things work for me. I've been
> thinking about some fancy grepping of /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS or maybe using
> info from /var/lib/portage/config... But does that really matter, since
> automatic breaking of those hard links works?

... in recent kernels. The utils work on a really wide array of kernels, from 2.4 to
2.6. As for why it hasn't been implemented, I haven't gotten a patch for it, I don't
personally care about Gentoo, and rewriting parts of vhashify has been on my TODO for
quite some time (where part of the goal is to not require package management support).

get-conffiles really should be smarter than that. What data does emerge use to tell
whether etc-update (or whatever it's called, as I said, I'm not a Gentoo-guy) should
be
used for updating a file?

--
Daniel Hokka Zakrisson