Subject: Re: [vserver] Why no hashify on Gentoo?
From: Ed W <lists@wildgooses.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 10:48:05 +0100

Remigiusz Modrzejewski wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm quite shocked that vhashify, or unification at all, does not work with
> Gentoo. It's quite a basic feature and not that hard to fix the issue too.
> The attached patch is a stub that just makes things work for me. I've been
> thinking about some fancy grepping of /var/db/pkg/*/*/CONTENTS or maybe using
> info from /var/lib/portage/config... But does that really matter, since
> automatic breaking of those hard links works?

Thanks for starting on this - it's been on my todo list for quite a while

My understanding of the link breaking is that it's quite naive and
breaks ALL hardlinks not just the ones to the cache dir.  Now, gentoo is
also a little too smart in some cases and for example it uses hardlinks
for the webapp installs, so we almost certainly need to exclude the
following dirs from being hardlinked:

/var/www
/usr/share/webapps/

I guess a quick use of find with whatever is the hardlink count option
will find any other candidates for exclusion on a standard gentoo
install - I believe those above are the main ones though?

Any chance you could integrate that knowlege into your patch?

Good luck

Ed W