Subject: Re: [vserver] cluster file system and vserver
From: Martin Fick <mogulguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 09:56:40 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Thu, 7/17/08, ADNET Ghislain <gadnet@aqueos.com> wrote:

> For whoever might be interested here is the AFR
> explanation:
>
> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/Understanding_AFR_Translator
>
> the split brain part is in the road map for version 1.5.

I don't want to bog down the vserver list with
too many discussions about glusterfs, but it
does seem somewhat relevant to many people
interested in vservers.

I believe that only one minor part of the split
brain issue is actually on the roadmap for version
1.5, specifically the "out of order writes from
different client"s part.  This still leaves the
system (AFR) vulnerable to split brain because
of network issues and nodes dying.  Again, I
am not certain about this, but I have been
involved with quite a few split brain
discussions on the glusterfs list.

It would be beneficial if other vserver users
interested in glusterfs would join the
glusterfs mailing list and perhaps ask more
questions directly relevant to the operation
of vservers over glusterfs.  The glusterfs
developers are very friendly and extremely
responsive, and they will probably gladly
help make glsuterfs more useful for specific
real world use case scenarios like using it
with vservers.  They will probably also have
some advice on its short comings if you ask,
they are very straightforward.

-Martin