Subject: Re: [vserver] run VirtualBox emulator on a VServer kernel host
From: Nicolas Cadou <ncadou@cobi.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:20:24 -0400
Wed, 25 Jun 2008 12:20:24 -0400
Le June 25, 2008, John Alberts a écrit :
> Really?  I had no idea that Virtualbox, or any other emulator, would run
> inside a vserver guest os.  That is amazing.  Has anyone else had any luck
> doing this and remember if there are any special steps required.  I would
> imagine that you would have to really set a lot of capability flags that
> would make everything much less secure.

I'm running (very stably) VMware Server in a Linux-VServer with the following
in bcapabilities:
CAP SYS MODULE
CAP MKNOD
CAP NET RAW

It could probably be possible to have it work with less, I just didn't get
around to try anything to that effect.

On a Debian 4.0 (kernel 2.6.18-vserver), with hundreds of vservers being
stopped and started, and nearly a hundred VMware Server VMs having been
stopped and started, the host machine had an uptime of 551 days when I had to
shut it down for a rack-rewiring operation.

THAT is why it is called Debian  stable .

--

Nicolas Cadou

Cobi Informatique Inc.
Tel: (450) 266-2420 (305)