Subject: Problem with stable 2.2.0.5 and kernel 2.6.22.14
From: Oliver Paulus <oliver@code-project.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:19:01 +0100

 Sat, 15 Dec 2007 11:19:01 +0100
Hello,

I am using kernel 2.6.22.14 with the latest stable VServer patch version
2.2.0.5. I have similar problems described by "Albert Czarnecki" -
http://archives.linux-vserver.org/200712/0031.html.

I have made some tests to check if the problem can be reproduced. I can
reproduce the problem with one VServer instance which has a squid proxy
installed. The problem seems to be on a VServer stop command when the VServer
needs more time to stop. Here is my output:

Stopping periodic command scheduler: crond.
Stopping mail-transfer-agent: nullmailer.
Stopping internet superserver: inetd.
Stopping OpenBSD Secure Shell server: sshd.
Saving the system clock..
Cannot access the Hardware Clock via any known method.
Use the --debug option to see the details of our search for an access method.
Stopping Squid HTTP proxy: squid Waiting..................done.
.
Stopping system log daemon: syslogd.
Asking all remaining processes to terminate...done.
/usr/lib/util-vserver/vserver.stop: line 85: 18657 Getötet
"${NICE CMD[@]}" ${USE VNAMESPACE:+$ VNAMESPACE --enter "$S CONTEXT" -- }
$ VCONTEXT $SILENT OPT --migrate --chroot --xid "$S CONTEXT" --
"${INITCMD STOP[@]}"
A timeout occured while waiting for the vserver to finish and it will
be killed by sending a SIGKILL signal. The following process list
might be useful for finding out the reason of this behavior:

18657    53 vhost3        pts/1    S+     0:00  |       \  /bin/sh
/etc/init.d/rc 6
18758    53 vhost3        pts/1    S+     0:00  |           \  /bin/sh
/etc/rc6.d/S20sendsigs stop
18760    53 vhost3        pts/1    S+     0:00  |               \  sleep 5

In my /var/log/kern.log I get the following:

Dec 15 11:18:02 hal9000 kernel: vxW: [xid #0] !!! limit: ffff8100133fe078[VM,9]
= 31 on exit.

This happens only with *this* VServer instance. My other VServer instances with
webservers, mailservers, etc. does not have this problem. I have checked the
configuration of this VServer - and it seems to be correct.
Is this some kind of timeout? Can it be configured? The SIGKILL problem was in
the previous version of my VServer installation too. But the entry in the
kernel log seems to be new.

Other info:
 1. using Debian Etch (4.0)
 2. VServer utils from Etch (stable)

Regards
--
Oliver Paulus

OpenPGP
Key id: 28D9C44F
Fingerprint: EADA 62FC 07DC 3361 A3D6  4174 2DE3 C027 28D9 C44F
Public Key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x28D9C44F