Subject: Re: [vserver] Verbosity of rsync build
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@cyber-office.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:16:47 -0800

Adrian Reyer wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 07:50:36AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> I'm don't see "--source" in the rsync man man page.  Vserver-build
>> must be using/munging this?  Another case of looking at the script
>> closer.
>
> This is why it is after the first --, it is a parameter to
> vserver-build that is actually converted to some rsync-parameter.

Eyes must be out of ficus.  I was seeing two '--' in my example code not
just one.

>>> And if you like --progress --stats
>> Hum.  I didn't see/notice these in the man page.  I'll look again
>> searching for progress and stats instead of verbose.
>
> --progress, --stats and -v all do different things.
> -v gives you the filelist
> --progress a progress bar per file
> --stats a summary on what happened after rsync ran.

Again thanks.

I did some more man reading and see this.

Just to be sure I'm reading and understanding correctly my new and
improved command should be :

vserver $GUEST build -m rsync \
         --context $CONTEXT \
         --hostname $FQDN \
         --interface $NETDEV:$BASEIP.$LO/$PREFIX \
         -- \
         --source $RSYNC_FROM$REMOTE_DIR/$REMOTE_GUEST \
         -- \
         -v --progress

Possibly dropping the -v as --progress might report the filename.

(BTW readers; the $LO is for last-octet and that is used to compute the
context using $NETDEV and some hack-ish shell scripting.)

\\||/
Rod