Subject: Re: [vserver] host-IP substituted by guest-IP ???
From: Jarry <mr.jarry@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 2009 22:20:03 +0200

Herbert Poetzl wrote:

>> It seems to me that for every connection from host, vserver-guest
>> is substituting host's IP with its own guest's IP. WHY???
>
>  - there are no 'host' or 'guest' IPs or even interfaces
>    all addresses are configured on the host, and all
>    networking happens on the host, the guests just get to
>    'use' certain IPs for binding services to them
>
>  - from the host perspective, all IPs (even those assigned
>    to a guest) are local, so it is like the host is talking
>    to itself.
>
> so, that means for your setup:
>
>  - all host-guest or guest-guest traffic is local traffic
>    which doesn't leave the host, and uses lo to transfer
>  - binding to 0.0.0.0 on the host will grab all IPs,
>    including those assigned to guests
>  - source IP selection will happen according to the
>    normal Linux network stack rules

OK, but I do not understand one thing: why with guest->guest
traffic everything is OK? When guest1 talks to guest2, in logs
on guest2 there is a correct client (source) IP "guest1".
Not IP of "guest2", as it is for host->guest2 traffic...

How does host know, which of its IPs it has to select as
source_IP when one guest talks to the other? And when host
can this for guest->guest traffic, why it can not do the same
"clever" source-IP selection for host->guest traffic?

>> Can I somehow force guests to use correct host's IP?
>
> the guest is not involved in your source IP selection, so
> nothing in the guest (or its configuration) can affect that
> the problem is with the host finding a suitable IP for your
> host local request, and as you do not give any preference
> the host chooses one address according to its rule set,
> which might as well be the IP assigned to your guest
>
> you can use the 'normal' mechanism to control the source
> IP selection, or you can specify the source IP on your
> query, in any case, as long as the guest is reachable, it
> will work out fine

So can I somehow force host to use its "only real" IP
for the whole host-guests traffic? Because now looking into
guests' logs I can not say which traffic came from within
the same guest, and which came from host...

Jarry