Subject: Problem with installing debian guest
From: David Vanfleet <vanfleet@cedarview.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 22:45:43 -0600

Hi, I'm runing Linux Vserver 2.2.0.7 on OpenSuse 10.3 with the 2.6.22.19 Kernel, and I'm trying to instill Debian (Lenny) as a guest. I installed lenny successfully with the following  command:
 vserver debian_lenny_template build \
     -m debootstrap \
     --hostname debian_lenny_template.amwestonline.com \
     --interface eth0:66.62.37.145/24 \
     -- -d lenny -m http://ftp.debian.org/debian

However, when I tried to start the guest I get the following error:
/etc/init.d/rc: line 74: /etc/default/rcS: No such file or directory
error: '/etc/init.d/rc' exited outside the expected code flow.

An error occured while executing the vserver startup sequence; when
there are no other messages, it is very likely that the init-script
(/etc/init.d/rc 3) failed.

Common causes are:
* /etc/rc.d/rc on Fedora Core 1 and RH9 fails always; the 'apt-rpm' build
  method knows how to deal with this, but on existing installations,
  appending 'true' to this file will help.

Failed to start vserver 'debian_lenny_template'
I'm new to vserver but I understand that some of the services running in the guest need to be turned off, the ones that access any hardware devices. In this case I suspect that some service is trying to start that is not valid in a guest.  I'm not sure what  needs to be done here to fix this problem, I don't know what it means to append "true" to some file, I'm not even user Fedora Core or RH9.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David