Subject: Re: [vserver] one-liner /etc/apt/sources.list in guest?
From: "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 13:15:30 +0800

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, January 26, 2009 11:49 am, John A. Sullivan III wrote:
>> On Tue, 2009-01-27 at 00:51 +0800, Jeffrey 'jf' Lim wrote:
>
>>> I've followed the instructions as per wiki
>>> (http://linux-vserver.org/Installing_Ubuntu_Hoary_as_guest) to set up
>>> a hardy guest, and ended up with a one-liner /etc/apt/sources.list -
>>> which has apparently given me some problems with regards to installing
>>> stuff in the guest (like 'E: Couldn't find package blabla'). Is
>>> editting sources.list the way to go after you build a guest?
>
> yes.
>
> i always expect to tweak sources.list after a new install because i don't
> expect the installer to know what i want (repositories) and from where
> (mirrors); either to remove "restricted", add "medibuntu", or add my
> personal repository.

right, thanks. :) I was just hoping to get some opinions, and see what
you guys are doing.

> now maybe if you are installing multiple similar guests, then it would be
> beneficial to configure a reasonable set of defaults in a configuration
> file.  for debian guests using the debian util-vserver package, that
> should be in /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/debian/initpost (and,
> yeah, that's definitely not a configuration file).

is there some doc somewhere that gives more info about this? i've been
mainly relying on man (not much for some of the tools!) and the wiki.
Havent come across this piece of info before.

Now for another question (now that I've discovered this):
what's the difference in purpose between these 2 locations -
/usr/local/lib/util-vserver/distributions, and
/usr/local/etc/vserver/.distributions ?

>  but editing
> sources.list hasn't wasted enough of my time for me to research setting
> saner defaults.
>
> and i don't use vserver-debiantools, but maybe it does a better job
> creating debian/ubuntu guests.

any reason why not? What do you use/do instead?

-jf