Subject: Re: [vserver] Traffic accounting
From: Cedric Veilleux <cveilleux@neopeak.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:14:08 -0500
Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:14:08 -0500
Herbert,

Thank you for the clarifications.

> do your guest  share  IPs between them?
> if not, the best and simplest way to get proper
> on-wire accounting is to add an iptables account
> rule, and feed that into your collecting/graphing
> solution

OK, I will investigate this solution.

> > Are there known problems with the vserver traffic accounting via proc?
>
> besides the fact, that there is no traffic accounting
> for Linux-VServer guests via proc, no :)
>
> the cacct entry in /proc/virtual/<xid> accounts the
> sockets (send/receive/fail) of a guest, which can be
> a lot less than the actual on-wire traffic (due to
> headers, retransmissions, etc)

OMG! Well this does come as a surprise to me.

The header of the cacct file reads:

Type	    recv #/bytes		   send #/bytes		    fail #/bytes

So I assumed the first number was the number of packets and second the
number of bytes transferred..

I guess the collectd people assumed the same thing since the generated
graphs under a default install does show traffic as bit/s as well as
total amount transferred (in/outgoing) directly from these numbers.

Thank you,

Cedric

["application/x-pkcs7-signature" not shown]