Subject: Re: [vserver] sharing /vserver
From: Matt Paine <matt@mattsoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2008 23:00:23 +1000

Hi Herbert

<snip>
>> a glusterfs one ?
>
> I doubt that glusterfs is Linux-VServer aware :)
>
> best,
> Herbert

Can I ask what glusterfs would need to be able to Linux-VServer aware?

I have been away from both (linux-vserver and glusterfs) projects for a
while, but I like to keep an eye on things to see whats happening.
GlusterFS is a project that I see to be an integral part in a project
that I am about to experiment with at home. Linux-VServer is also a part
of that project so as soon as I get some spare time I am going to setup
a cluster to hopefully run vserver guests on top of a GlusterFS so I can
essentially have hot spares on any glusterfs aware system.

I know that GlusterFS uses extended attributes to keep track of
versioning. I also know that vserver extends the linux kernel to add
further attributes on files. GlusterFS also intends to be fully posix
complient. I would like to present the developers with some
questions/information on what would make GlusterFS work "out of the box"
(quote from another email) with Linux-VServer. With my limited
understanding of file systems I may assume (i know I shouldn't) that
perhaps if the kernel that the GlusterFS server is running is also
patched with the relevant linux-vserver file system attributes, it
should work correctly.

I'm probably completely wrong though :)

I am happy to liase with the GlusterFS developers in regards to this. I
used to know them quite well :)

Matt