Subject: Re: [vserver] chbind the init process of the host (/sbin/init)
From:PÁSZTOR György <pasztor@linux.gyakg.u-szeged.hu>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:56:27 +0200

 Tue, 2 Sep 2008 17:56:27 +0200
Hi,

"Manfred Heubach" <entwicklung@heubach-edv.de> írta 2008-09-02 14:12-kor:

> PÁSZTOR György schrieb:
> > Hi!

> >> Well, i *want* to restrict the host to those two addresses - but how?
> >>
> > I don't understand your attitude. Why do you want to run services on the
> > host, if you use vserver?
> >

> I use vserver mainly for server consolidation. This is why I have some
> more services on the host itself (syslog-ng, mta, bacula, raid-console,
> ssh, snmp, ...).
Yepp, so do I.

But with some differences:

syslog-ng -> I run it on a dedicated management server. If the host
dies we still have its logs.

MTA -> I don't understand why do you want MTA on the host. On Special
vservers, which purpose is not to handle the mails I run nullmailer to let
my error reports reach it's destination. I have some vservers which runs
backround service, and don't have public IP but an internal for interchange
data between servers have. Those nullmailers sends it's message to the
management host, and that delivers to the sysadmins.
For the "corporate" mailing I use a vserver, which handles our mails, and
another vserver which runs webmail things.

Bacula -> I run bacula-fd on the host. But I don't need any other bacula
things in the guests.

I don't know raid-console. What it is?

ssh -> I wrote it already: Yes, the (almost) only thing you may want also
on the host.

snmp -> I collect the traps on the mentioned management machine. What do
you want to run on the host? I don't trust in snmp things, so I won't allow
to run snmpd on the host, neither on the guests.

... -> So... Basic approach: Just run sshd (and bacula-fd) on the host.
Everything else in the guests. If you do the consolidate like this you will
have easy job, when you have to move a vserver to another host, because of
decrease the load of a host, etc.

Cheers,
gyu