Subject: Re: [vserver] mounting glusterfs inside of vservers
From: Martin Fick <mogulguy@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 15:57:39 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Wed, 8/27/08, Cedric Veilleux <cveilleux@neopeak.com> wrote:

[Sorry if the email is similar to another one I may or
may not have sent, I thought I did, but I don't see it]

> Have you read:
>
> http://linux-vserver.org/Fuse_GlusterFS

No I hadn't seen that, nice, thanks.

> The tutorial does not use fstab but simple starts the
> gluster client from command line:
>
> glusterfs -f /etc/glusterfs/glusterfs-client.vol
> /mnt/glusterfs
>
> you do need to give the guest proper capabilities and
> device nodes. Read the rest of the page first.

This will not work for me, there's no way I am willing
to give my guests mount privileges.  This brings up
a somewhat sore point for me, it seems logical to want
to limit the ability to mount remote filesystems
independently from local filesystems.  This is no a
vserver specific issue, but rather a linux one, one way
to look at it is that mounting a remote filesystem is
not inherently a security risk on the local system
(except perhaps for the suid problems), but rather
a potential security issue on the remote system.
Limiting remote mounts should therefore be handled
by the remote machine, not the local one.

> I haven't tried using fstab.... Can glusterfs be
> mounted from fstab at all?

Yes, it works fine in the host's fstab.

> I simply used an init script to run glusterfs
> when starting the guest..

How did you do this?  As I mentioned in a previous
email for this thread, the following worked for
me:

 vnamespace -e <cid> mount.glusterfs <server> /<vserver_root>/<mntpnt>

I could automate that on startup, but I would prefer
if the /etc/vserver/<guest>/fstab[.remote] worked,
it surely makes management easier.  If the above
works, why does the fstab not work?

Thanks,

-Martin