Subject: Guest vserver stops mysteriously
From: "Ravi Kumar" <mailtorks.linuxvserver@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:44:06 +0530
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 00:44:06 +0530
Hello Friends
I am running Ubuntu (64-bit) as guest OS. For Vservers i run
kernel-2.6.22.19 with vserver patch vs2.2.0.7  .

I want guest vservers to run on a partiton /dev/sda4 which i mount to
/media/disk using the command :

sudo mount /dev/sda4 /media/disk

I dont use the normal ubuntu gui method to mount the disk as it mounts it
with the option nodev, and i read somewhere that it may cause problems in
vservers. Anyway before creating guest vservers i ran testme.sh and
testfs.sh on /media/disk as root and all tests succeeded except xfs and jfs
filesystems (in testfs.sh).

I downloaded yum sources from git and reset it to the version 3.2.4 (for
which the patch is available for vservers), and after applying the patch,
did 'make install' on host (ubuntu). Now it doesnt complain about using
special hacks in yum.

The guest OS i built is centos5 (32-bit) using following command :

sudo linux32 vserver vserver1 build \
-m yum \
--rootdir /media/disk/vsrvs/vservers/.defaults/vdirbase \
--pkgbase /media/disk/vsrvs/vservers/.pkg \
--confdir /media/disk/vsrvs/vservers/vserver1 \
--hostname vserver1.localdomain.com \
--interface eth0:143.46.43.100 \
-- \
-d centos5

after that i tried to start the guest OS by the command :

cd /media/disk/vsrvs/vserver
sudo vserver -v $PWD/vserver1 start

but it shown the following :

New network context is 40011
Adding 143.46.43.100
New security context is 40011
Bringing up loopback interface:  Device lo does not seem to be present,
delaying initialization.
                                                           [FAILED]
Mounting other filesystems:                                [  OK  ]
$

(you can see that it returned to shell prompt '$' without any furthur output
or error).
I also tried prepending 'linux32' to the command (after sudo), but got same
message.

and if i try to 'enter' into vserver1 or check its 'status' it says that it
is stopped. (i always give full path to vserver1, as it is not at its
standard location)

after that i did descended into vserver1/interfaces folder and did this :

$ sudo mv 0 1
$ sudo mkdir 0
$ cd 0
$ sudo bash -c "echo 'lo' > dev"
$ sudo bash -c "echo '127.0.0.1' > ip"
$ sudo bash -c "echo '255.0.0.0' > mask"
$ sudo bash -c "echo 'lo' > name"
$ cd ../..

(simply i moved the original interface '0' to '1' and created new interface
'0' with dev as 'lo', ip as '127.0.0.1', mask as '255.0.0.0' and name as
'lo')

after that i again tried to run the vserver (with and without 'linux32'
prepended and with -v option for verbosity in both cases) and it shown
following :

RTNETLINK answers: File exists
Bringing up loopback interface:  arping: socket: Operation not permitted
                                                           [  OK  ]
Mounting other filesystems:                                [  OK  ]
$

(again as usual it drops back to shell prompt of the host, and checking
'status' of vserver1 says that it is stopped).

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some hint of the problem. I dont
really need loopback device inside the guest (for now).