Subject: Re: [vserver] tcpdump, top, mpstat, iostat
From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:35:12 +0900
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 10:35:12 +0900
Dear Herbert,

Thanks again.

> note that I do not see a good reason to do that
> accounting for or from within a guest, if you want
> to monitor I/O to devices, IMHO the host is the best
> place to do so (same for network statistics)

I have (not yet) used vserver. But let me test my understanding. if I run
tcpdump on the host, I sniff all the network packets for a NIC shared among
all its guests. Therefor with some tcpdump-filters it should be possible to
isolate packets for one specific guest, right? Any ideas what parameters I
could use that are guest-specific such as (virtualized) IP address,
MAC-address, ...?

In case of IO device stats, suppose every guest has its own physical device,
running iostat on the host for one specific device would isolate usage for
the guest that it owns. Is this correct?

> so, unless somebody finds this feature so increadibly
> usefull that s/he decides to sponsor development in
> this direction, I doubt it will ever get implemented.

I wish I had a money-tree in my garden ;)

Thank you,
Andrej