Subject: Re: [vserver] Developer recommendations.
From: "Roderick A. Anderson" <raanders@cyber-office.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 11:16:01 -0700

On 07/06/2010 08:25 PM, Daniel Hokka Zakrisson wrote:
> Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
>> I currently use LV hosts and guests based on CentOS 5.x.

First off thanks to all for your replies.

>> This means I either have to learn to build my own kernel RPM or (this is
>> going to sound bad no matter how I put it) trust in others.  The trust
>> isn't so much in their work but in their having time to do the work.
>>
>> I figure I should start building my own.  This way I get the latest and
>> greatest and it could lead to a LV "distribution."
>>
>> So how do I go about getting the leanest and meanest host?  Right now,
>> even if I build from a stripped down install of CentOS there are a pile
>> of "extras".
>
> "Extras"?

Well probably the wrong term.  Rather all the dependencies.  Yum
requires Python etc.

>> But I'd still like to build CentOS guests (yum, etc.) to make the
>> maintenance/upkeep easier on others.
>>
>> They feel like contradictory goals.
>
> What are the goals, exactly?

A stripped down host but CentOS guests.

>> So my question for now: How do the developers build their systems?
>
> Personally, I use CentOS 5 almost exclusively, with two Debian systems
> sprinkled in there.

OK.  I like that (and I knew you used CentOS.)

Do you build, for your own use, kernel, yum, and util-vserver RPMs?
Even if not where do I find the spec files or src RPMs that you use for
the yum repo?  (And I feel a big twinge of guilt since I think I went
through something similar to this a year of so ago then fell down on
getting the info on the wiki.)  8-(

Rod