Subject: Re: [vserver] Problem with installing debian guest
From: David Vanfleet <vanfleet@cedarview.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 07:11:14 -0600

Herbert Poetzl wrote:
On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 08:24:54AM -0600, David Vanfleet wrote:

   Herbert, thanks for your response. I tried what you suggested,
   first I created an empty /etc/default/rcS file inside of the lenny
   guest and tried restarting it. This made the error go away and
   no other errors were displayed but the guest did not start, it
   appears that nothing happened. Next I copied the /etc/default/rcS
   file from a running Debian Etch guest, and tried to restart it
   but again the guest did not start. Also, I was looking around in
   /etc/vservers/debian_lenny_template and comparing it with a working
   guest (debian_etch_template), and noticed that the soft link to the
   cache folder was pointing to an invalid location:

       cache -> /etc/vservers/.defaults/cachebase/debian_lenny_template
   I fixed this link but still nothing happened when
   I tried to start it. I also noticed that the
   /etc/vserver/debian_lenny_template/dlimits folder was missing,
   so I recreated that modeling it after the same folder for my
   debian_etch_template guest but again the guest would not start,
   nothing appears to be happening. I'm not sure what to try next, any
   ideas? There are probably some errors being thrown somewhere but I
   don't know where they are? Thanks, David

nope, you just need to enable a single service inside
the guest which keeps the guest 'running' otherwise
the context is disposed right after startup

i.e. enable syslog or sshd as service inside the guest
(you can chroot into it or use the 'vserver .. start --rescue'
option for that ....

how you do that in debian? best ask a debian person.

That was my problem, I didn't realize that a service had to be running to keep the server up. Thanks for all your help!

Regards,
David