Subject: Re: [vserver] VServer Community; Was: Roadmap and Future ...
From: Benedikt Böhm <bb@xnull.de>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:35:50 +0100
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 21:35:50 +0100
On Sat, Feb 28, 2009 at 10:47:56AM +0100, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Fri February 27 2009, Dallas Kashuba wrote:
> > I think this site is still on a personal box in somebody's basement.
> > I can not say that for sure, it may have changed a year or two ago.
>
> it is running on a machine maintained by Hollow
> (details about the connection and hosting should
> be available from him, for me, it just works :)

the website, subversion, ftp archives and mailing list is currently
hosted on a dual-core opteron 1218 with 4GB of ram, connected to an
approx. 70GBit/s backbone in nürnberg, germany at www.hetzner.de

there are far too many posts where this answer could be posted to, but i
wanted to share my experience with our mediawiki and its migration from
the old wiki a few years ago:

it was a major PITA to migrate the content and i spent countless hours
with boring copy&paste and adapting of wiki syntax, consolidating
content, navigation and removing obsolete information, links etc.pp.

so anyone who now posts mockups and ideas for fancy pr pages and similar
should be aware that maintaing the website and overall appearance of
vserver to the outside world is a daunting and most of the time boring
task. don't get me wrong, i don't want to spoil the initial euphoria,
but from my own experience i predict it to be a dead end.

unfortunately i didn't have time to do any vserver development for a
very long time due to personal and work related reasons, but i'm still
maintaining and updating the gentoo ebuilds and currently setting up a
new environment on my box to build up-to-date stages with our new
baselayout, so users do at least have usable stages for deployment.

anyway, i'm still using vserver on a huge number of servers and i am
happy to support the vserver project with infrastructure on the
aforementioned box and i'm always available if something does not work
or software needs to be installed etc.pp.

HTH & Greetings,
Bene

["application/pgp-signature" not shown]