Subject: Re: [vserver] Roadmap and Future ...
From: "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:42:21 +0800

 Fri, 27 Feb 2009 01:42:21 +0800
On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 11:30 PM, Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at> wrote:

> Dear Linux-VServer Community!
>
> Every now and then I get asked what the Roadmap for
> Linux-VServer is and what Features or Changes can be
> expected in the near (and far) future, so I decided
> to share my thoughts with you on the ML.
>
> (note that they are not just Roadmap related :)
>
> First, Linux-VServer is not dead! :)
>
> <snip>

> I think what we need most in the near future is a
> new, well tested stable release, which can be adopted
> by distributions and which will be maintained for
> a reasonable amount of time, and that's actually what
> I'm working on whenever time permits.

i'm guessing the "new" bit is the thing that's missing? (rather than
"well tested stable release")

> New features will mainly include adaptations of 'old'
> features, lost and forgotten over time, and improve-
> ments on the mainline integration (like cgroups and
> such), as well as some virtualizations to simplify
> handling and make it more guest friendly.

I hope these new virtualizations will not take away the edge of
vserver? What virtualizations do you have in mind?

> I also plan to do a web frontend to control basic
> functionality

nice, but... would this really be necessary? as part of the project?
(or could it be an external project, perhaps taken up by somebody
else?)

> Finally, as usual, input here is welcome, so if you
> have an isolation feature you want to see really soon,
> or further questions, please let me know.

:) you planning to virtualize "localhost" within a vserver?

-jf

In the meantime, here is your PSA:
"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not help."
    -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228