Subject: Re: [vserver] recommended way of maintaining or doing 'apt-get upgrade' in a guest?
From: "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 15:49:42 +0800

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 7:56 AM, Corey Wright <undefined@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 01:39:26 +0800
> "Jeffrey 'jf' Lim" <jfs.world@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> (pasted from another thread about the "one-liner
>> /etc/apt/sources.list" - but I figure this one deserves another thread
>> of its own...) I'm getting problems like the following when doing an
>> 'apt-get upgrade' in a guest:
>
> i intended to reply earlier to this email in the other thread, but didn't
> have the time until now.

sure, no problem.

> this is because /etc/init.d/procps.sh executes "sysctl -p" which tries to
> write values from /etc/sysctl.conf to /proc/sys, but those /proc entries
> are read-only within a guest.  this is because of linux-vserver and
> harmless, but admittedly noisy.

yeah, I figured.

> unless there's a "/etc/vservers/.distributions/hardy/initpost" or
> "/usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/hardy/initpost" (or whatever the
> equivalent paths are for your source install) that removes unneeded
> initscripts (like /usr/lib/util-vserver/distributions/debian/initpost,
> lines 125-139), then you'll have similar noise on guest startup or
> shutdown.  and even then after some packages upgrade you have to manually
> clean up their reenabling of the init scripts (or extract what the inipost
> script does into a separate script).
>
>> While I reckon that these aren't critical errors, is there some sort
>> of "recommended way" for upgrading the files in a guest?
>
> either "vapt-get <vservers> -- (update|upgrade|dist-upgrade)" or "vserver
> <vserver> exec apt-get (update|upgrade|dist-upgrade)".

is there any real difference (save for being able to do it for
multiple vservers) between 'vapt-get' and 'apt-get' in the guest? (I
guessing that initpost is probably one of the reasons) In which case,
is there any doc that talks more about vapt-get? man and 'vapt-get
--help' doesnt offer much in the way of help. Neither does the great
flower page.

thanks,
-jf