Subject: Re: [vserver] Mounting NFS(v4) with vserver guest's own IP address
From: Herbert Poetzl <herbert@13thfloor.at>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 13:29:52 +0100

On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 09:08:34AM +0100, Mark Hunting wrote:
> Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 27, 2008 at 11:34:17AM +0100, Mark Hunting wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks for all your answers. I now understand the mount command isn't
> >> the problem. I can do the mount from the guest IP, that's no problem.
> >> But when I then 'do' something on the NFS mount, like a simple ls or
> >> touch, this is done using the host IP.
> >>
> >> I can change this behaviour by changing the route to my NFS server
> >> through the guest IP instead of through the host IP (which is the
> >> default). But the routing table is server-wide, so all guests and even
> >> the host will use this route. Or is there a way to create a route table
> >> entry for one guest only?

> > sure, make sure that multiple routing tables are enabled,
> > assign one to your guest, and setup proper routing
> > (source based) there, and the kernel will honor that

> That sounds great. But how do I assign a specific routing
> table to a guest?

well, the 'assign' was more a logical than practical process,
i.e. you mentally assign a table for that guest, and configure
the routing (with multiple routing tables) based on source IP
on the host (no Linux-VServer specific stuff required)

> Google does not give me the answer, it seems.

for me google gave about 680 results for the following search
terms: multiple routing tables Linux-VServer

> Maybe this is something to add to the VServer FAQ?

maybe, feel free to add it once you figured it out